The Mini Cakes Class
This class is all about MINI Cakes. The big sister to the cupcake, mini cakes are the elegant, larger cakes that are so popular for a multitude of occasions including weddings, wedding favours, birthday parties, children’s parties or as little gifts for friends, family or work colleagues.
What you will learn
This class is all about perfection! We will teach you to make mini cakes that are far superior to most that you have seen. During the class, we will cover everything you need to know about making mini cakes including:
- How to make both SQUARE and round mini cakes that are perfectly smooth and with perfect edges and corners. Have a look at the pictures above to see the standards that you will be able to reach by the end of this class.
- How to work with sponge cake AND fruit cake and the differences between the two in terms of the finish you can achieve.
- The secrets behind advance preparation and storage of mini cakes thus avoiding staying up late to finish off cakes before a big event. Mini cakes can be made days, weeks or months in advance and as long as prepared and stored properly will be as fresh as the day you made them.
- How to prepare, cut, split, fill, cover and finish mini cakes to produce a stunning, professional result.
- How to work with both sugar paste and florist paste in relation to mini cakes so that both the look and the taste are perfect.
- A whole range of new techniques including brush embroidery, pollen centres to flowers, beaded piping, pearlised beading and gold painting.
- How to make different styles of mini cakes from gold leaf inspired to elegant frilled lace work.
- How to properly use boards with mini cakes.
- How to work properly with ribbon and lace to adorn your mini cakes.
- How to pipe freehand directly onto mini cakes.
- How to achieve a perfect finish on a mini cake.
You will be able to practice all skills on a dummy mini cake during the day but you will then go on to design and create your own set of a minimum of 4 mini cakes (2 round and 2 square). This class is about quality not quantity and as with all Pretty Witty Cakes classes, the emphasis is on quality not quantity.
Colour and Design
We will teach you how to work with colour so you can choose your own colour schemes for the mini cakes. There are certain colours that work together and others that just don’t and we will talk you through all of this. You will also be shown the best way to design and assemble your mini cakes for the ultimate finish.
This class is all about working hands on. You won’t be watching someone else doing something – you will do everything yourself.
Class Times, Level and Equipment
This class starts promptly at 10.15 and runs to 5pm. Everything is explained to you step by step and as with all our classes, all equipment is provided for you. This class is suitable for all levels including beginners. However, if you have never worked with royal icing before, we would recommend you attend the Retro Stencilling and Royal Icing Class first as you will then be able to develop skills learnt in that class during the Mini Cakes class thus getting more out of the class. As our groups are small but our kitchen is very large with plenty of space, separate standing areas, seated areas, photography area and shop, we are able to cater for those of differing standards and ensure you get individual attention.
This class will be taught by Rachel (see Tutors page), an expert in making wedding and mini cakes. Rachel’s cakes are regularly featured in bridal magazines and she provides cakes to some of London’s most prestigious hotels.
Rachel has vast experience in making both wedding and mini cakes and this is a real opportunity to ask an expert everything you could want to know about baking, decorating and designing mini cakes.
Testimonials from prior students
To see what others have said about our courses, see here.
Take Home Fact Pack
You will be given a fact sheet describing the techniques you learnt during the day so you can refresh your mind next time you bake. Of course, there are also lots of tips on our Facebook discussions page
We supply lots of tea and coffee throughout the day and you can take breaks whenever you wish.
How to book your class
Location: Our Mini Cakes Class is based in Suzi’s bright, spacious and airy 40 foot kitchen in Crowborough (TN6) on the Kent, East Sussex border.
Price: £175 (includes VAT where applicable).
Time: 10:15am – 5pm
Travel: We can assist with all travel arrangements including advising on trains and flights, pick up from the airport or train station. For those coming by car, we have ample private and enclosed parking at the house.
Before booking, please ensure you read the terms and conditions on this website and also double check the date that you wish to attend as there will be no refunds for cancellations. Class places are non-transferable.
For further details, please email email@example.com or call 07976 32 72 78