The Two Tier BIG Cakes Class
This class is all about BIG Cakes. This class will cover everything you need to know about splitting, levelling, covering, stacking, smoothing, dowelling and icing a big cake. Once you know the tricks of the trade, you will be able to create a stunning TWO tier cake like those pictured below. You can choose to make the floral design or the butterfly design. You will also then have the skills to create 3, 4 and 5 tier cakes like those on the pictures below.
This class is suitable for beginners and intermediates and you will leave at the end of the day with a cake that will rival those made by cake makers who have been baking for years! Unlike some courses, you will not need to bring your own cakes with you. We bake everything fresh for you to use.
What you will learn
This class is all about technique and elegance. During the class, we will teach you:
- How to work with a REAL cake including how to split, cut and perfectly level a cake ready to work on;
- How to apply a crumb coat to the cake and an explanation of why this is necessary;
- How to ice a cake so that you get an even, professional and flawless finish;
- How to use side scrapers, levellers and smoothers to get a consistently clean and neat finish;
- How to work with dowels and other specialist tools;
- How to work with sugar paste, buttercream and florist paste with big cakes and what you should use for different parts of the cake;
- How to use food colouring properly and effectively in order to create the correct “style” of cake (whether vintage, modern, contemporary, classic etc);
- How to prepare, ice and finish a board for your cake including how to double board a cake;
- How to work with a dummy cake and achieve a consistent finish (many professional tiered cakes have several dummy layers so this is an essential skill if you intend to make cakes with several tiers);
- How to cover a cake in fondant and the tricks behind a clean finish and properly securing the fondant (no more bumpy bits);
- How to stack cakes properly so they are secure, straight and neat;
- How to use pastes to create WIRED flowers and sprays such as small jasmines (floral cake);
- How to make blossoms and double blossom sprays (floral cake);
- How to work with gold, lustres and sprays;
- How to make perfect embossed butterflies in differing shapes (butterfly cake);
- How to make butterfly bodies (butterfly cake);
- How to arrange flowers on a cake so that the cake is properly balanced including how best to use fillers;
- How to properly use ribbons and/or lace to decorate cakes and boards including our tried and tested techniques;
- A chance to ask any question you can think of about making tiered cakes (whether celebration, wedding or birthday) to Rachel who has made 100s of cakes and supplies cakes to some of the top hotels in London.
Colour and Design
We will teach you how to work with colour so you can choose your own colour schemes for your cake and we will teach you how colour can completely chance the look of a cake. There are certain colours that work together and others that just don’t and we will talk you through all of this.
This class is all about working hands on. You won’t be watching someone else doing something – you will do everything yourself.
Class Times, Level and Equipment
This class starts promptly at 10.15 and runs to approximately 5pm. We have a lot to cover during this class but we will provide tea and coffee throughout the day.
Everything is explained to you step by step and as with all our classes, all equipment is provided for you. Unlike most big cake classes, we also provide the cakes so no need to bake a cake to work on before you come.
This class is suitable for all levels including beginners. As our groups are small but our kitchen is very large with plenty of space, separate standing areas, seated areas, photography area and shop, we are able to cater for those of differing standards and ensure you get individual attention.
This class will be taught by Rachel, an expert in making wedding and mini cakes. Rachel’s cakes are regularly featured in bridal magazines and she provides cakes to some of London’s most prestigious hotels.
Rachelle has vast experience in making big cakes and this is a real opportunity to ask an expert everything you could want to know about baking, decorating and designing mini cakes.
Testimonials from prior students
To see what others have said about our courses, see here.
Take Home Fact Pack
You will be given a fact sheet describing the techniques you learnt during the day so you can refresh your mind next time you bake. Of course, there are also lots of tips on our Facebook discussions page
We supply lots of tea and coffee throughout the day and you can take breaks whenever you wish. We have a lovely coffee area attached to the kitchen where everyone can relax during lunch (although we often find people so engrossed in their cake decorating making that they continue right through their lunch!).
How to book your class
Location: Our Big Cakes Class is based in Suzi’s bright, spacious and airy 40 foot kitchen in Crowborough (TN6) on the Kent, East Sussex border.
Price: £250 (includes VAT where applicable).
Time: 10:15am – approximately 5pm
Travel: We can assist with all travel arrangements including advising on trains and flights, pick up from the airport or train station. For those coming by car, we have ample private and enclosed parking at the house.
Before booking, please ensure you read the terms and conditions on this website and also double check the date that you wish to attend as there will be no refunds for cancellations. Class places are non-transferable.
For further details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07976 32 72 78.