Blown Away Betty Class
This is a cake sculpting Master Class! Following the hugely successful UK Premiere of Kaysie Lackey’s “Blown Away Betty” Class in 2012 and massive demand for a repeat class, this class will be returning in June 2013. This class is exclusive to and ONLY running at Pretty Witty Cakes in the UK. Pushing the boundaries further than ever before, Kaysie has created an amazing new cake with a little girl balanced on one leg holding an umbrella! This is cake carving and cake sculpture at its highest level!
The world famous and award winning Kaysie Lackey of the The People’s Cake will be flying over all the way from Seattle, USA to teach at Pretty Witty Cakes. Kaysie will be teaching several classes when here.
What you will learn in the Blown Away Betty Class
Blown Away Betty takes cake to an entirely new level. Kaysie will teach structural cake design and how to work with gravity to defy even the most complicated of cake structures. This class is all about proving nothing is impossible in cake world! Kaysie will show you how with the right knowledge and tools, even the most challenging cake designs are possible.
During the course you will learn:
- What tools and techniques you need to use to make cakes which need to stand on thin supports.
- What type of cake you need to work with (we supply ALL the cakes you need!).
- What equipment you need (we supply ALL the equipment).
- How to prepare your cakes properly.
- How to work with a cake armature.
- How to build internal structural supports and what you should use to make them.
- How to use modelling chocolate to make vivid, exciting characters.
- How to carve and cake dummies into unusual shapes (you will work with both cake a dummies to learn both sets of skills as different considerations apply to each medium).
- How to sculpt a cake into a realistic looking person.
- How to make hair and clothes to ‘dress’ your cake.
- How to work with fondant for a smooth and flawless finish.
- The best way to work with lustre dusts and edible tints for bigger surface areas.
- How to animate your characters and use facial features correctly.
- The methods and techniques behind micro painting.
- How to store and transport complex cakes without damaging them.
Kaysie has gained an international following and reputation as one of the USA’s most talented sugar artists and a Food Network TV star! You will leave the course with a completed Blown Away Betty cake and all the skills and a new found confidence to make character cakes like Betty. The internal structure in your cake is reusable. Book quickly as this class sold out in record time in 2012!
Kaysie Lackey (see Tutors page) is one of the USA’s most talented sugar artists and a fabulous teacher. Her cakes are recognised worldwide for their artistry and originality and she has won numerous awards and featured in several TV shows in the States. Kaysie pushes the cake boundaries to extremes and has made cakes which literally make your jaw drop.
Kaysie combines art and fashion to create stunning, over-the-top designs. Kaysie’s classes sell out quickly around the world.
This class is suitable for intermediate and professional level cake makers. The carving, sculpting and construction techniques are advanced but provided you have a basic understanding of piping, cake levelling, filling, stacking, crumb-coating, and rolling and applying sugar paste, you will be able to participate. If you have never covered a cake in sugar paste before, this class is not recommended or we would recommend you attend our Two Tier Big Cakes Class first.
Course Date and Times
The Blown Away Betty Class is a three day course. It will take place from Monday 3 June to Wednesday 5 June 2013. This class has now sold out for June 2013. The Higgins and Gus classes use similar techniques and you can view this at Higgins and Gus.
Unlike last year, this time we are providing EVERYTHING – that’s right – ALL the cakes, ALL the modelling chocolate, ALL the fondant, ALL tools, ALL specialist equipment…the list is long! For some layers, to teach you additional skills, Kaysie advises you use dummy cakes so you will work primarily with real cake but will do small parts in dummy cake to learn how to work properly with both.
All you will need to bring is:
- an apron
- a packed lunch (or you can order a sandwich lunch from our local supplier to be delivered to you in class at lunchtime for around £5)
- two sturdy boxes in order to take your cake home. The boxes need to be 50cm x 50cm and 25cm x 25cm (20 inches x 20 inches and 10 inches x 10 inches). Your cake will be very heavy so we advise coming by car. We have plenty of FREE parking at Pretty Witty HQ within the grounds.
Pretty Witty Cakes never surprise you with hidden costs unlike other venues so you will not be sent any additional equipment list before the class. The only things you need to bring are those things listed above. We will provide EVERYTHING else for you.
How to book your class
Location: The Blown Away Betty Class is taking place at Pretty Witty HQ in a bright, spacious and airy 40 foot kitchen in Crowborough (TN6) on the Kent, East Sussex border.
Price: £875 per person for the entire 3 day course (includes VAT where applicable). This includes EVERYTHING. The only things you need to provide are those listed above.
If you wish to pay in 3 instalments (deposit of £295 and two further monthly instalments of £290), please contact us on 07976 32 72 78 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Times: 9.30 to 6.30pm
Dates: Monday 3 June to Wednesday 5th June 2013
Travel: We can assist with all travel arrangements including advising on trains and flights, pick up from the airport or train station. For those coming by car, we have ample private and enclosed parking at the house.
Before booking, please ensure you read the terms and conditions on this website and also double check the date that you wish to attend as there will be no refunds for cancellations. Class places are non-transferable.
For further details, please email email@example.com or call 07976 32 72 78