The 3 Tier Teapot Cake – Cake Carving
If you have ever wanted to make incredible gravity defying cakes, then the Teapot Balance Cake class is a must! In November 2012, the world famous and award winning Kaysie Lackey of the The People’s Cake will be flying over all the way from Seattle, USA to teach at Pretty Witty Cakes. Kaysie will be teaching the fabulous Teapot Balance Cake and the stunning Designer Shoe Cake while she is here.
What you will learn in the Teapot Cake Class
The Teapot Cake is the ultimate in breath taking topsy turvy cakes. Kaysie will teach structural cake design at its most impressive and by the end of the class you will be able to turn your own gravity defying cakes ideas into reality. Kaysie will show you how with the right knowledge and tools, even the most precariously balanced cake can be simple to make.
During the course you will learn:
- What tools and techniques you need to use to make balance cakes (including some unexpected tools!).
- What type of cake you need to work with (we supply ALL the cakes you need!).
- What equipment you need (we supply ALL the equipment).
- How to prepare your cakes properly.
- How to make a cake stand up when it is wonky!
- How to build structural supports and what you should use to make them.
- How to work with florist paste on structure cakes.
- How to work with fondant on structure cakes.
- How to cover irregular surfaces fondant for a flawless finish.
- How to work with buttercream, royal icing and marzipan on structure cakes when working on irregular surfaces.
- The best way to work with lustre dusts and edible tints for bigger surface areas.
- How to paint on your cakes (in edible paint).
- How to make things appear aged or worn.
- How to model teacup handles and spouts and what to use for the perfect finish.
- How to store and transport big cakes.
This is a great opportunity to learn impressive skills and techniques from one of the USA’s most talented sugar artists and a Food Network TV star! You will leave the course with a 3 tier balance Teapot Cake complete with a reusable internal structure as well as a new found confidence in cake carving and modelling. Book today as places are filling up fast!
Kaysie Lackey (see Tutors page) is one of the USA’s most talented sugar artists and a fabulous teacher. Her cakes are recognised worldwide for their artistry and originality and she has won numerous awards and featured in several TV shows in the States. Kaysie pushes the cake boundaries to extremes and has made cakes which literally make your jaw drop.
This class is suitable for intermediate and professional level cake makers. The carving and construction techniques are advanced but provided you have a basic understanding of piping, cake levelling, filling, stacking, crumb-coating, and rolling and applying sugar paste, you will be able to participate. If you have never covered a cake in sugarpaste before, this class is not recommended or we would recommend you attend our Two Tier Big Cakes Class first.
Course Date and Times
The Teapot Class is a three day course which will take place in November and December 2012 betwene 9.30 and 5.30pm. It is a three day class.
For this class, we provide ALL the Cakes! Yes, all the cakes you need. For some layers, to teach you additional skills, Kaysie advises you use dummy cakes so you will work with both. Unlike other venues, we don’t expect you to make these in advance so the Pretty Witty ovens will be working away before you get here.
All you will need to bring is:
- an apron
- a packed lunch
- a sturdy box in order to take your cake home. Your cake will be on a 16 inch square base and very heavy so we advise coming by car. We have plenty of FREE parking at Pretty Witty HQ within the grounds.
- 5kg White Sugar Paste (Fondant) and 1kg Black Sugar Paste (fondant)
- 1.5 kg White Florist Paste
If you would like us to provide the sugar paste and florist paste for you, there will be an additional charge of £40 to pay and you would need to notify us you need this before the class.
Pretty Witty Cakes never surprise you with hidden costs unlike other venues so you will not be sent any additional equipment list before the class. The only things you need to bring are those things listed above. We will provide EVERYTHING else for you.
How to book your class
Location: Our Teapot Balance Cake Class is based at Pretty Witty HQ in a bright, spacious and airy 40 foot kitchen in Crowborough (TN6) on the Kent, East Sussex border.
Price: £595 per person for the entire 3 day course. This includes ALL equipment and ALL cakes and any dummies you may use (includes VAT where applicable). The only things you need to provide are those listed above.
If you wish to pay in instalments (£150 deposit then 2 instalments of £222.50), please contact us on 07976 32 72 78 or email@example.com
Times: 9.30 to 5.30pm
Dates: Friday 16th November to Sunday 18th November 2012 (FULLY BOOKED)
NEW DATE!! Thursday 29 November to Saturday 1 December (PLACES AVAILABLE)
Travel: We can assist with all travel arrangements including advising on trains and flights, pick up from the airport or train station. For those coming by car, we have ample private and enclosed parking at the house.
Before booking, please ensure you read the terms and conditions on this website and also double check the date that you wish to attend as there will be no refunds for cancellations. Class places are non-transferable.
For further details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07976 32 72 78